Selected S1 Survey Results

|

I have compiled some of the results from the survey last Thursday.  I hope you take the time to look through the aggregated data and my comments on it.  I want this data to be instructive and enlightening.  So, here we go!

1 - They don't make sense
4 - They make sense

For comparison, here is the grade breakdown of the class.



I find it interesting that many of you had a high estimation of your understanding of the basic concepts yet the course grades were so low by comparison.  Even more telling is the following breakdown of the final exam grades prior to the curve.



I am pointing this out because I think there is a slight disconnect between perceived understanding and actual performance in the class.  I think this misunderstanding is centered almost entirely around proofs and justification.  While many of you are capable of solving a given problem, you are unable to justify your work.  This may be for a multitude of reasons ranging from not knowing the theorems/postulates to being unable to separate what you are given from what you might know based on theorems/postulates.  Consequently, one of the major focuses of the second semester will be on the justification of your work.  Particularly the justification of work outside of the typical "two-column proof".
1 - Not clear
4 - Very clear

A large number of you said that lectures were somewhat not clear.  I find this surprising given the number of times per lecture that I ask for questions.  I cannot clarify what is not asked about.  It is a responsibility of the student to ask questions when the content is not clear.  


1 - Nope
4 - Yes!

This seems in line with the previous graph, so there's not much to say about it.  

1 - Never
4 - Often

Over half of you rarely or never review outside of class.  Reviewing your notes and examples can be extremely helpful if you are struggling with homework problems.  The materials you are creating should be a reference and your first line of defense when faced with a problem you aren't sure how to tackle.
1 - Never
4 - When I need it

As mentioned in class, tutoring is a critical part of the learning process if you find that you are stuck on problems or struggling with a concept.  22.9% of you claimed that you come see me frequently when you have a problem with the material.  That simply does not line up with the number of students that I have seen in tutoring over the course of the last semester.  Please take the time to address your issues prior to an assessment.  Coming in the day before or period before an exam is not generally a good tutoring model, as it encourages a short-term memory solution to your particular struggles.  

0 comments: